We support two versions of the Receipts screen: the original version and an updated version. If you're using the updated version, you'll see a button labeled Receipt actions (instead of a green options icon) in the lower-right corner of the screen. Currently, the updated Receipts screen is available to select users and will slowly roll out to all users over time. This article covers using the updated Receipts screen; if you need instructions for the original Receipts screen, visit Editing and voiding receipts.
There are many situations where you might need to edit, refund, or reprint a receipt. Depending on the POS user permissions you’ve configured in the Back Office, you can perform actions such as email or print a copy of the receipt, refund or edit payment on an order, or create an invoice. This article explains what each receipt action represents and how you can carry it out.
Accessing the Receipts screen
- Log on to Restaurant POS with your Lightspeed username and password.
- Navigate to Receipts in the navigation menu.
- From the Receipts screen, locate the receipt you wish to edit.
- When you have selected the desired receipt to edit, tap Receipt actions.
- The available receipts actions will populate.
Receipt actions may be limited depending on the permissions configured for each POS user and group.
Refunding a receipt
Reopening a receipt
Reopen a receipt to refund an order’s original payment and reopen a new order with the same items included. After selecting a refund reason, you can edit the new order and re-process the order’s payment as needed.
Refunding a receipt
Use Refund items or Full refund to return an order’s payment to the customer.
- Refund items will create a new refund transaction containing the items from the order. To refund items on an order, tap Refund items > Refund items to open the POS screen. Remove items from the refund transaction that you do not wish to refund, leaving only the items you do want to refund. Then, tap Pay to process the refund.
The option to refund items is not available for orders paid for through an integrated payment type, such as Lightspeed Payments. These orders must be refunded in full or to a different payment type.
- Full refund issues a full refund of all items attached to the order. To refund a complete order, tap Full refund > Refund. After confirming the refund, select a refund reason to explain why you are refunding the order.
Refunds must be enabled in the Back Office to use this receipt action on the POS.
Managing payment types on a receipt
Creating an invoice
Creating a customer invoice involves two main steps. First, an order is processed via the POS for the items to be included on the invoice. Second, an invoice for that order is created from the POS or Back Office. Create invoice creates a customer invoice from an order completed with the Invoice payment type. For more information on creating customer invoices, see our article Creating customer invoices.
Changing a payment type
To change a receipt's attached payment type, select Change Payment. From the pop-up window, select Edit and choose another payment method from the list. After you have selected the new payment method, select Back and then OK to apply the changes. If you need to modify the payment amount, then you can do so by refunding the payment and adjusting it from the Payment screen.
Receipt options for emailing or printing a receipt
Emailing a receipt
If you’d like to send an electronic copy of the selected receipt, then select the Email action option. You’ll then be prompted to enter the recipient's email address. When you’re done, select OK to send. For step-by-step help, see Emailing receipts.
Printing a receipt
If you need to print a copy of the receipt, then select the Print receipt action option. A copy of the receipt will be sent to a configured receipt printer.
Creating customer invoices
Learn more about creating and managing customer invoices.Learn more
Understanding the Receipts screen
Learn more about the Receipts screen and searching for receipts.Learn more