The Bixolon SRP-275III printer is an impact dot matrix printer. Unlike thermal printers, the SRP-275III’s printouts are not discolored by heat, so these printers are especially well-suited to printing in hot areas like kitchens. We recommend using this printer for order tickets in the back of house since impact printers are noisier than thermal-printing alternatives.
The Bixolon SRP-275III supports a red and black ink ribbon and therefore supports specific POS Configurations settings, such as the option to Print sub-items in red.
What you'll need
Before you can set up your printer, you’ll need the following hardware included in your shipment:
The LAN Cable is not included with your shipment and must be obtained elsewhere. Ensure that the cable is long enough to reach your internet router from the printer.
Setting up the Bixolon SRP-275III
Connecting the printer to a network and power supply
To connect your printer, you need its power cable and an Ethernet cable.
The printer must be plugged into the same router that provides internet access for your POS device so that the printer and POS are on the same network.
- Plug the power cord into the AC adaptor.
- Turn the printer upside down and connect the AC adaptor to the circular power socket on the bottom of the printer.
- Once connected, the AC adaptor can be inserted into the bottom of the printer so that the power cord is feeding out of the back panel. Turn the printer right side up.
- Plug the power cord into an electrical power supply, such as a wall outlet.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the back of the printer (port on the left) and plug the other end into an Ethernet port on your router.
Inserting the ink ribbon
- On the ink ribbon cassette, turn the knob clockwise to ensure the ribbon is taut. This will prevent the ribbon from twisting as the cassette is inserted into the printer.
- Open the printer’s front cover.
- Insert the ink ribbon cassette (knob facing upward) so the ribbon is behind the printhead, facing the paper feed. Press down on it, and it will click once it’s secure.
- Once in place, twist the knob on the cassette again to ensure the ribbon is as tight as possible.
- Close the front cover.
Inserting a paper roll
- Open the rear printer cover by pushing the lever on the right side away from you and lifting the lid.
- Insert the paper roll so that the end feeds from the bottom. While doing so, ensure the paper roll stays tight and doesn’t unspool.
- Pull the paper out past the cutter at the front of the printer.
- Push the cover down to snap it shut.
- Test the printer by turning it on and pressing the Feed button to ensure that it feeds paper as expected. Once it starts printing, release Feed and tear off any excess paper.
Finding the printer’s IP address.
To connect your printer and POS, you will need the IP address of the printer on your network. To find the IP address, print the self-test page:
- Turn the printer off
- Hold down the Feed button.
- While continuing to hold Feed, turn the power on.
- Wait for the device to start printing, then release Feed.
- Once the first page has finished printing, press Feed once more to finish.
The bottom of the self-test page will show Ethernet Setting. Hang on to this page and note the IP Address, which will be used later.
If Current IP Parameters says the IP address is 0.0.0.0, the printer couldn’t establish a network connection. Check that the Ethernet cable securely connects your printer and router, or try a different Ethernet port on your router and repeat the steps above.
Adding the printer to Back Office
Before adding your printer to Back Office, make sure your iPad is connected to the same network as your printer. Once both your iPad and printer are on the same network:
- Log in to Back Office using your Lightspeed Restaurant credentials.
- From the navigation menu, select Configuration > Printing > Printers.
- Select Add Printer.
- Give the printer a name (we recommend naming it after its function or location, e.g., Bixolon printer or Kitchen Printer).
- Enter the printer’s IP address into the relevant field.
Note: For Lightspeed Restaurant to connect with your printer, the printer’s assigned IP address (obtained in section 4) must always match the IP address entered in Restaurant Manager.
- From the Driver drop-down menu, select Epson TM-U220 (or compatible).
- Click Save to finish.
Printing a test receipt
With the above steps complete, log in to the Lightspeed Restaurant app, reload your configuration, and print a test receipt to ensure your printer is connected.
- In the Restaurant POS App, tap the Status Preview tab (four dots on the navigation bar).
- Tap the reload icon to sync the device with the latest Back Office configuration.
- From the main screen, select your user profile.
- Tap Settings on the navigation bar.
- Select Printing center.
- Tap the newly-setup Bixolon SRP-275III to perform a print test.
Congratulations! Your Bixolon SRP-275III can now print tickets and receipts from your Restaurant POS devices.
Editing receipt templates
Visit our Editing receipt templates article to learn how to customize the layout of your receipts and production tickets.Learn more
Managing printing profiles
Assign your Bixolon Kitchen Printer to print order tickets by attaching it to your kitchen printing profile.Learn more