The Epson TM-m30II printer is a compact, thermal device that fits anywhere and prints receipts and tickets quietly. These printers are suitable for the main dining room, but can also be used in cold kitchen areas. We recommend avoiding use in hot kitchen areas, as for instance, the heat from the thermal bridge will stain the printer's thermal paper, making receipts illegible.
We advise setting up a separate network specifically for the POS system to ensure successful operations. Learn how to configure your printers and how to set the IP settings for your Epson printer(s) on your dedicated POS network.
For the next steps, your iPad should already be connected to the dedicated POS network (via Wi-Fi or LAN) as well. For more information on how to connect your iPad to your network please read the Changing network settings article.
The Epson TM-m30 receipt printer must be configured before it can communicate with the POS environment. The following steps will help you through this configuration process:
- Checking the hardware and its accessories
- Connecting printer to a power supply
- Inserting paper roll
- Connecting the printer and computer to the POS network
- Getting the configuration software
- Configuring the printer’s network settings
Checking the hardware and its accessories
Please check that you have the equipment necessary to set up the TM-m30 receipt printer. You'll need the following equipment which ships with the printer:
- Epson TM-m30II receipt printer
- 24-volt AC power adapter
- AC power cable
- Paper roll (58-mm width)
You’ll also need the equipment below which is sold separately:
- Connected router (we recommend routers set up close to your hardware and printers)
- Ethernet LAN cable (If you connect the printer by cable) Be sure that the wire is long enough to reach your router.
- iOS device installed with the latest version of the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app
Connecting printer to a power supply
Make sure that the device is connected to the power by following the steps below.
- Connect the AC cable into the AC adapter socket.
- Put the connector end of the AC adapter into the circular power port at the bottom of your printer.
- Plug the pronged end of the AC cable into an electrical power supply.
- On top of the printer, press the power button and wait for the blue power light to appear.
Inserting paper roll
Because the TM-m30II prints via thermal transfer, it is important that the paper roll is inserted correctly, otherwise, you will receive blank receipts or production tickets.
- To open the printer cover, push the lever on the right-hand side of the printer away from you and lift the cover upwards.
- Insert a paper roll with the paper pulling under and out. Make sure the paper roll stays taut and doesn't unravel.
- Pull the paper out past the cutter at the front of the printer.
- Push the cover down to snap the lever shut.
Connecting the printer and computer to the POS network
For best communication between the POS and printer, we recommend connecting the printer by Ethernet cable even if it is Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capable. To continue the use of the printer via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, you must still connect the printer by wire for configuration.
NOTE: Instead of connecting the printer via Ethernet cable for the configuration, many printer models can be also connected directly to the computer with a mini-USB or USB type B cable.
- Turn off the printer by pressing the power button.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port at the bottom of your printer.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port on your internet router.
- Turn on the printer by pressing the power button.
- After a few seconds, your receipt printer's IP address will print. Take note of the IP address as you'll need it when adding the printer to the Lightspeed Restaurant Back Office.
- Connect your desktop or laptop computer to the POS network for the additional Epson configuration.
Getting the Epson configuration software
To adjust the network settings of the printer using the Epson network configuration software available for both Windows and macOS.
- Select one of the following links to be redirected to the download site for your OS.
- Select Download… at the bottom of the site to download the EpsonNet Config program file to your computer.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install the program.
NOTE: If the links don’t work, you can search for the term EpsonNet Config Download biz Windows OR Mac using any internet browser.
Configuring the printer’s network settings
Once the Epson software is installed on your computer you can configure the network data for your printer. This article will help guide you through the configuration. But don’t forget to set up a corresponding printer in the Lightspeed Back Office as well.
NOTE: MAC addresses can be used to identify the printer in the list you have to choose if you're unsure. Every printer has its Mac address on the back.
- Open the EpsonNet Config program.
- EpsonNet Config shows all printers found in the POS network.
- Select the printer to configure.
- Click on Configuration.
- From the left side navigation bar go to TCP/IP > Basic Settings.
- Under IP address settings, fill in the form. Please refer to the table below for an explanation of the fields.
- If the configuration is for a WLAN printer, continue with Addition for WLAN printer otherwise select Send to accomplish the configuration.
|IP Address:||Choose a static IP address to ensure that the printer is always available for the POS system.
NOTE: An IP address is a unique destination on a network, therefore avoid assigning IP addresses that are the same.
|Subnet mask:||Is always 255.255.255.0|
|Default gateway:||Is always 0.0.0.0|
Addition for WLAN printer
If you want to use the printer via Wi-Fi after the configuration, you must proceed with these additional steps.
- From the left side navigation bar go to Network > Basic Operation (wireless).
- Fill out the form. Please refer to the table below for an explanation of the fields.
- From the left side navigation bar go to Network > Detailed (wireless).
- Under Power Management Settings activate the power management function.
- Select Send to accomplish the configuration.
|Basic settings||SSID||Refers to the name of your dedicated POS network.|
|Security||Security level||Select the security standard for your printer Wi-Fi communication. We recommend WPA-PSK (AES).|
|WPA setting||PSK (pre-installed key)||Enter the password for your dedicated POS network.|
|Enter PSK (pre-installed key) again||Reenter the POS network password.|
Now that the TM-m30II is physically set up, we advise you to read the Printing article. In this article, we explain how to set up your printer in the Back Office.