The Epson TM-U220B printer is a dot matrix impact printer that works well in hot areas, such as in a kitchen. Unlike thermal printers, the U220 B's printouts will not become discolored when exposed to heat. We recommend avoiding the use of this printer in your front of the house as it prints more noisily than a thermal printer.
We advise setting up a separate network specifically for the POS system to ensure successful operations. Learn how to configure your printers and how to set the IP settings for your Epson printer(s) on your dedicated POS network.
For the next steps, your iPad should already be connected to the dedicated POS network (via Wi-Fi or LAN) as well. For more information on how to connect your iPad to your network please read the Changing network settings article.
The Epson TM-U220B receipt printer must be configured before it can communicate with the POS environment. The following steps will help you through this configuration process:
Checking the hardware and its accessories
Please check that you have the equipment necessary to set up the TM-U220B receipt printer. You'll need the following equipment which ships with the printer:
- Epson TM-U220B receipt printer
- 24-volt AC power adapter
- AC power cable
- Ink ribbon
- Paper roll (76 mm width)
You'll also need the equipment below which is sold separately:
- Connected router (we recommend routers that are set up close to your hardware and printers).
- Ethernet LAN cable (If you connect the printer by cable). Ensure the wire is long enough to reach your router.
- iOS device installed with the latest version of the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app.
Connecting the printer to a power supply
Make sure that the device is connected to the power by following the steps below.
- Connect the AC cable to the AC adapter socket.
- Put the connector end of the AC adapter into the circular power port at the bottom of your printer.
- Plug the pronged end of the AC cable into an electrical power supply.
- On top of the printer, press the power button and wait for the green power light to turn solid.
Installing the ink ribbon
The U220B printer requires a separate ink ribbon in order to print properly. The next few steps explain how to insert the ink ribbon.
- Turn the knob on the ink ribbon clockwise to tighten the tape.
- Lift open the printer's front lid.
- Insert the ink ribbon cartridge.
- Press the ribbon down until it locks in place.
- Position the red and black ribbon behind the grey metal plate.
- Turn the ink ribbon's knob a couple of times.
- Close the front lid.
Inserting paper roll
The TM-U220B is a dot matrix printer, so it is important that the paper roll is loaded correctly, otherwise, the paper feed may be disturbed, or the paper may shift or tear during printing.
- To open the printer cover, push the lever on the right-hand side of the printer away from you and lift the cover upwards.
- Insert a paper roll with the paper pulling under and out. Make sure the paper roll stays taut and doesn't unravel.
- Pull the paper out past the cutter at the front of the printer.
- Push the cover down to snap the lever shut.
Connecting the printer and computer to the POS network
For best communication between the POS and printer, we recommend connecting the printer by Ethernet cable, even if it is Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capable. To continue the use of the printer via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, you must still connect the printer by wire for configuration.
- Turn off the printer by pressing the power button.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port at the bottom of your printer.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port on your internet router.
- Turn on the printer and then press the Reset button on the rear of the printer for 4 seconds to get the status report. After another few seconds, it will print the IP information. Take note of the IP address, as you'll need it when adding the printer to the Lightspeed Restaurant Back Office.
- Connect your desktop or laptop computer to the POS network for the additional Epson configuration.
Getting the Epson configuration software
To adjust the network settings of the printer using the Epson network configuration software available for both Windows and macOS. Select one of the following links to be redirected to the download site for your OS.
If the links don't work, you can search for the term EpsonNet Config Download biz Windows OR Mac using any internet browser.
- Select Download… at the bottom of the site to download the EpsonNet Config program file to your computer.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install the program.
Configuring the printer's network settings
Once the Epson software is installed on your computer, you can configure the network data for your printer. This article will help guide you through the configuration.
Don't forget to set up a corresponding printer in the Lightspeed Back Office as well.
MAC addresses can be used to identify the printer in the list you have to choose if you're unsure.
- Open the EpsonNet Config program.
- EpsonNet Config shows all printers found in the POS network.
- You will find the Mac address on the Ethernet status report.
- Select the printer to configure.
- Click on Configuration.
- From the left side navigation bar, go to TCP/IP > Basic Settings.
- Under IP address settings, fill in the form. Please refer to the table below for an explanation of the fields.
- Select Send to accomplish the configuration.
|IP Address:||Choose a static IP address to ensure that the printer is always available for the POS system.
NOTE: An IP address is a unique destination on a network; therefore, avoid assigning IP addresses that are the same.
|Subnet mask:||Is always 255.255.255.0|
|Default gateway:||Is always 0.0.0.0|
To complete printer setup, add the printer to the Lightspeed Back Office. Printing explains to you how to accomplish this.