Getting started guide
In this article, review how to log in from the Home screen, the first part of the Restaurant POS app you see after connecting it to your account. Navigate to other articles in the guide using the carousel below.
The Home screen is where users log in to the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app, clock in or out, and view floor plans. It's also where shift managers go to open or close a sales period. The Home screen is the main lock screen in Lightspeed Restaurant, which the app returns to after a user logs out.
Accessing the Home screen
To access the Home screen, either open the Lightspeed Restaurant app if it's closed or log out of the app if you're currently logged in. There are two different views of the Home screen you might see depending on whether a sales period is open.
Home screen view for an open sales period
When a sales period is open the Home screen displays options to sign in, clock in, view the floor plan, and scan a QR code to log in.
Home screen view for a closed sales period
When a sales period is closed, the only options are to clock in or out and open a sales period.
Home screen features
From the Home screen, you can clock in or out, view floor plans, access device info, and log into the Register screen.
Clocking in and out
Clocking in and out is essential for tracking employees' hours worked and their sales. In fact, users are unable to process orders until they first clock in. All users, from waitstaff to non-ordering roles (for example, cooks and dishwashers), clock in and out directly from the Home screen.
Depending on a user's settings, they might simply tap their name, tap their name and enter a PIN code, or scan a QR code to clock in or out.
- From the Home screen, tap Clock in/out.
- Select your name from the list of users, then follow the prompts to continue clocking in or out.
Viewing floor plans
The Home screen also offers a quick glance at your floor plans. This allows users to see tables with ongoing orders or those available for new orders.
Viewing floor plans is only possible after a sales period has been opened.
- From the Home screen, tap View floor plan.
- Review the floor plan to see its open and occupied tables.
- (Optional) Tap the name of a different floor plan in the upper-left corner to switch to it.
- (Optional) Tap one of the buttons in the lower-left corner to view more information on each table.
|Covers||Shows the number of covers entered for each table, if any. This is the view displayed in the previous image.|
|Time||Shows the amount of time each order has been open.|
|Total||Shows the total of each order.|
|Status||Shows whether each table is occupied (person icon) or available (unlocked icon).|
Viewing device info
Check the name of your POS device, the version of Lightspeed Restaurant it's running, its IP address, and other related details right from the Home screen.
- If a sales period is open, tap About in the upper-left corner to view the device info. Otherwise, look for the device info on the left side of the screen.
|Business name||Name of your business as configured in the Back Office.|
|Device info||Name of the POS device as configured in the Back Office, the configuration in use on the device, and whether the device is in sharing mode.|
|Software version||Name of the Lightspeed app and its version number.|
|Wi-Fi and IP||Name of the Wi-Fi network the device is connected to and its IP address on the network.|
|Role||Whether this is an active or passive POS device.|
Logging in allows users to access the Register screen for placing orders. Depending on a user's settings, they might simply tap their name, tap their name and enter a PIN code, or scan a QR code to log in.
Only clocked-in users can log in. Logging in is only possible after a sales period has been opened.
- From the Home screen, perform the relevant action to log in.
- If your user profile has a PIN code, tap your name and then enter the code.
- If your user profile has a QR code, tap Scan QR code and place the code in front of your device's camera.
- If your user profile has no authentication set up, tap your name to log in.