In 2019, iKentoo was acquired by Lightspeed POS. Since then, we’ve been working hard to bring you our most sophisticated product yet: Lightspeed Restaurant (K Series). With this latest app version, we’ve added new features, security protocols, a redesigned Order screen, and much more! Same product you love, but with a new name and improved usability.
To our valued customers using iKentoo 2.0: we encourage you to make the change and begin using Lightspeed Restaurant (K) today. Switching over to the latest app ensures a smoother experience, access to the latest features and guaranteed product support.
Switching over the Lightspeed Restaurant (K) is easy: simply adjust a few settings on your Back Office and download the Lightspeed Restaurant ePOS (K) app from the App Store. Let’s get started!
- Getting started
- Upgrade your Back Office
- Connect your devices
- Verify device status
- Adjust user groups
- Configure a cash float
- Understand reports
Please complete the following before updating to Lightspeed Restaurant (K):
- Verify your iOS devices are compatible with the Lightspeed Restaurant ePOS (K) app. Restaurant POS (K) is compatible on devices using iOS version 12.2 or later.
- Confirm all devices are connected to the internet.
- Close all open orders on devices using iKentoo 2.0.
- Note: after upgrading to Lightspeed Restaurant ePOS (K), you will not be able to modify past financial data from iKentoo 2.0.
- Download the latest Lightspeed Restaurant ePOS (K) version 4.1 app on all of your ePOS and KDS devices.
- Set aside at least one hour for the upgrade process, outside of business hours.
Upgrade your Back Office
Before updating the ePOS app on your devices, you’ll need to update your Back Office version.
- Log in to the Back Office with your admin credentials.
- Make sure your business settings are up to date.
- Navigate to Configuration > Settings > Business settings.
- Update any information on this page, especially your legal business name that appears on tax documents. It is not possible to change your legal business name after updating your Back Office version.
Connect devices to the new app
To access the Lightspeed Restaurant ePOS (K) app, your devices require a connection code. A connection code is a secure and unique credential used for logging in to Lightspeed Restaurant (K) app for the first time.
Create a connection code(s):
- Log in to the Back Office with your admin credentials
- Go to the Configuration > Devices > Connection codes.
- Select Click here to create a new connection code.
- Once created, you’ll be able to view your connection code as either a numerical or QR code.
- Write down the code or save the image on your device.
Note: A connection code can be used for multiple devices provided that they use the same device configuration. A connection code is needed only when logging in to the Restaurant POS (K) for the first time after downloading the app.
Log in to Lightspeed Restaurant POS (K):
- Open the Lightspeed Restaurant (K) app on your POS device.
- Scan the connection code with the device camera, or manually enter the alphanumerical code with the device keyboard.
To learn more about redesign changes on the app, access our tutorials on the Help Center.
Delete the iKentoo app
Once you've entered or scanned the connection codes on all your devices, delete the old iKentoo app.
Verify device status
Please note that devices running iOS 12 and earlier are not compatible with the Lightspeed Restaurant (K Series) app. When upgrading to Lightspeed Restaurant (K), please confirm iOS device compatibility and verify the device status: active or passive.
Active devices can be thought of as the principal or main ePOS devices. They store data and must always be on during a shift. Passive devices can be understood as secondary devices, like a remote – they do not store data and are used to communicate with the ePOS. Passive devices can be turned off during a shift.
An active or passive device status is automatically assigned according to device model. We recommend using the latest iPad Generation or iPad Pro (running on iOS 12.2 or later) as active devices:
- iPad Pro
- iPad 8th generation
- iPad 7th generation
We recommend using older and smaller iOS devices (running on iOS 12.2 or later) as passive devices:
- iPad 2 (iPad2,1 2.2 2.3)
- iPad (3G) (iPad 3.1 3.2 3.3)
- iPad (4G) (iPad3.4 3.5 3.6)
- iPad mini (iPad2.5 2.6 2.7)
- iPad mini 2 (iPad4.4 4.5 4.6)
- iPad mini 3 (iPad4.7 4.8 4.9)
- iPad mini 4 (iPad5.1 5.2)
- All iPod Touch and iPhones
To edit the active or passive status of a ePOS device:
- From the Back Office, navigate to Configuration > Devices.
- Under the Actions column, select Edit for the ePOS device you wish to adjust.
- Scroll down to Account Sharing and select the device status for the configuration.
- To save changes, select Update on the bottom of the page.
For more information on supported iOS models, please access our Supported Hardware page.
Adjust user groups
With Lightspeed Restaurant (K), all users need to be assigned to a user group. A user group allows you to easily manage different ePOS user permissions, such as who can void receipts, add discounts or start a shift (sales period) on the ePOS. User groups also save time – when adding new users, instead of manually adjusting their permissions, you can simply assign them to their designated user group and its associated permissions, such as Manager or Bartender.
To create a user group:
- From the Back Office, navigate to Configuration > Users > POS user groups.
- Create a new group by selecting the button Create a new POS user group.
- On the pop-up modal, give the user group a name, such as a Manager, Chef or Bartender .
- Adjust user group settings by selecting the arrow beside Edit members. On the drop down, select Configure. This will open the permissions for the selected user group.
- Add settings for the selected user group, according to your business needs. When done, select Save at the bottom of the page. You will be brought back to the POS user group page.
- Add a user to the group by selecting the button Edit members beside the group name.
- Add an existing user to the group with the search function.
- Select ‘+’ to add a new name.
Configure a cash float
Configure a virtual cash drawer on the Back Office to enable a cash float count on the ePOS. If your business accepts hard currency as payment, it’s useful to enable a cash float on the ePOS. This prompts ePOS users to verify and count their cash amounts at the beginning and end of a shift. If your business uses one or multiple cash drawers, configure their settings by following the instructions below:
- From the Back Office, navigate to Configuration > Devices > Float management.
- Select the Create new cash float button on the Float management page.
- On the pop-up window, give the float a name (such as Bar or Main station), according to your business setup.
- Modify float settings by selecting the float name – this will open the float settings page.
- When you’re done adjusting settings, press Update at the bottom of the page.
- Your Dashboard (on the Back Office) might be unavailable for a short while after the upgrade as the system reprocesses your sales history.
- Note that some reports (monthly, yearly) will appear on two documents depending on when you upgrade to Lightspeed Restaurant (K).
That’s it! You’re all set for using Lightspeed Restaurant (K Series). You may notice that the ePOS screen looks a bit different! For more information on navigating the new and improved design, access our Help Center.
If you ever need additional Support, we’re here to help – contact our Support team for any additional questions.