The Verifone e285 Plus terminal is quick and easy to set up with Lightspeed Payments. When you receive the terminal from Lightspeed, it will already be configured for your account, so all you will need to do is plug in and pair the terminal.
It is important that you only use the terminal supplied to you by Lightspeed, as any terminal obtained from a third party may not be correctly configured for your account and could present a security risk.
Plugging in the terminal
In your box, you should find:
- the e285p payment terminal
- a USB to USB-C charging cable
- a SIM card
Before you can pair your e285p terminal with your Lightspeed account, you'll need to insert the SIM card that came with it, charge the battery, and turn the terminal on.
To do so:
- Remove the retaining screw on the back of the terminal.
- Slide the back cover down and pull it away from the terminal to reveal the battery and SIM card slot.
- Insert the SIM card with the gold contacts facing down.
- Reinstall the back cover.
- Reinstall and tighten the retaining screw.
- Plug the USB charging cable into the terminal and a power source. You can continue with the setup while the battery charges, but be sure to charge the terminal for at least 4 hours when charging for the first time.
- If the terminal does not power on automatically when plugged in, hold the green circle button until the display turns on.
The display may turn on and off several times when powering on and the terminal may make a maintenance call to update its software. The update process can take 10-20 minutes.
To power the terminal off, press and hold the red X button until the display turns off.
Connecting the terminal to your network
In order to connect your terminal with your Lightspeed account, you'll need to make sure it's connected to your network via wifi.
To do so:
- Press the 9 key, followed by the green circle key on the terminal's number pad.
- Enter the following PIN: 0856.
- On the touch screen, tap network > Wi-Fi > Add network.
- Select your network from the list of available networks.
- Enter your wifi password using the number pad. Press the key associated with the letter you want to enter repeatedly until the desired letter is displayed.
- Press the green circle button.
You should then see a wifi symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Press the red x button to return to exit the menu.
Pairing the terminal with Lightspeed Payments
Once the terminal is connected to your network, you'll need to pair it with your account. The pairing process will require information that can be found on the terminal's device info page. You can access this page by pressing 5 then the green circle key on the terminal's number pad.
Make note of the following:
- The model (e285p)
- The serial number
- The IP address
Once you have this information, you can begin the pairing process. To do so:
- In the back office, navigate to Configuration > Hardware > Payment terminals.
- Click Add a new terminal.
- Enter the terminal name which will identify this terminal in your account. It can be whatever you like it to be, but whatever name you choose should distinguish this terminal from any others in your establishment. For example, choose a name that indicates where it will be located, such as "Take-out counter."
- Use the drop-down menu to select Lightspeed Payments - Adyen as the terminal type.
- Enter the terminal's IP address on your network.
- Enter the terminal ID. The terminal ID consists of the model and the serial number in the following format: e285p-#########, where the number symbols represent the terminal's serial number. For example, if your terminals serial number is 123-456-789, your terminal ID would be e285p-123456789.
- Do not check the print merchant and customer copy on the terminal checkbox. This terminal does not have an onboard printer and doing so will disable printing to your receipt printer.
- Click Save.
The terminal will now be paired with your account, but not necessarily with your devices. In order for your POS device to use the terminal, you'll need to assign the terminal to that device in your back office.
Assigning the terminal to your POS device
With the terminal paired to your account, you are ready to assign your terminal to a POS device.
To do so:
- In the back office, navigate to Configuration > Devices > Devices.
- Click on the device you wish to assign the terminal to, or click Edit under Actions next to the device you wish to assign the terminal to.
- Use the drop-down menu next to Payment terminal to select the name of terminal you've paired.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update.
- Under configuration status, click the reload button. Alternately, on the device itself, you can tap Settings > Reload.
You are now able to process card payments using your payment terminal.