An invoice is a bill for goods or services that a customer can pay for in person at a later time via an existing payment method. Invoices can be printed, emailed, or downloaded as PDF files to provide to the customer. They can be tracked individually by status from the Back Office, and each customer's total outstanding balance is available in the Back Office and at the POS.
Creating a customer invoice involves two main steps: 1. Process an order at the POS for the items needed on the invoice, and 2. Create an invoice for that order from the POS or Back Office.
Important: Before creating an invoice, you must set up customer invoicing by following the steps here.
Processing an invoice order
Process an order in the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app using the IKDEBT payment method to generate a receipt that you can convert into an invoice via the POS app or Back Office. This will add a transaction to the Back Office Accounts receivable page, making the selected customer a debtor.
- In the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app, add items for the invoice to an order.
- Add a customer to the order. For step-by-step help, see Adding a customer to an order.
- When finished editing the order, tap Pay to tender it.
- Select the IKDEBT payment method previously created in the Back Office.
- Tap Pay to complete the order.
- Follow the steps in the Restaurant POS or Back Office section to create an invoice from the order receipt.
Creating an invoice from the POS
After processing an invoice order, create an invoice for the order receipt at the POS or from the Back Office Accounts receivable page. Failure to complete the steps in this section or the following one will prevent you from settling the invoice when the customer pays for it.
- In the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app, tap Customers.
- Search for the customer from the invoice order previously processed.
- Tap View next to the customer's name to open their profile.
- Select Balance to view pending invoice transactions and open invoices for the customer.
- Tap Make invoice to create an invoice for all of the customer's pending invoice orders.
- Tap Cancel to return to the customer's profile.
- (Optional) To print or email a receipt-format invoice, follow steps 7a–7f:
- Tap Receipts on the navigation bar.
- Select the receipt for the invoice order, then tap the green options icon.
- Tap Create Invoice.
- Tap Attach customer to invoice and select the customer associated with the invoice.
- Tap OK to create the receipt-format invoice.
- Tap the green options icon again, then select Print or Email.
- (Optional) To print a letter-format invoice or download a copy in PDF format, follow step 8 in Creating an invoice from the Back Office.
Creating an invoice from the Back Office
After processing an invoice order, create an invoice for the order receipt from the Back Office Accounts receivable page or in the POS app. Failure to complete the steps in this section or the previous one will prevent you from settling the invoice when the customer pays for it.
Important: German accounts must create invoices from the Restaurant POS app as they are unable to do so from the Back Office.
- Log in to the Back Office with your Lightspeed Restaurant credentials.
- From the navigation menu, go to Customers > Debtors > Accounts receivable.
- Select Pending transactions. This page will show order receipts paid by the IKDEBT payment method that have not been made into invoices.
- Click the + next to a customer to view all of their invoice orders.
- Check the box next to each receipt to include in the invoice, then click Make invoice to generate a single invoice for the selected receipts.
- (Optional) Enter a comment to appear near the top of the invoice.
- Click OK to create the invoice and move the transaction from Pending transactions to Open invoices.
- To view, print, or download the invoice, follow steps 8a–8d:
- Click Open invoices to view all unsettled invoices.
- Click the + next to the customer to view their open invoices.
- Select View invoice next to an invoice to open it on screen.
- (Optional) From your web browser's menu, print the invoice to a connected computer printer for delivery by mail or in person, or save the invoice as a PDF file for your own records or to attach to an email.
View, settle, and manage customer invoices in the Back Office and at the POS.