Setting up the Lightspeed Order Display Screen (ODS) is a multi-stage process that involves completing steps on the Apple TV you will use with the system and in the Back Office and contacting Support to complete setup. The Lightspeed ODS requires an Apple TV (4th generation or newer) running tvOS 14.5 or later and connected to a television or monitor via an HDMI cable.
Important: The Lightspeed Order Display Screen is available as a paid add-on to your existing Lightspeed Restaurant subscription. To add the Lightspeed ODS to your subscription, contact Support and follow the directions from the last section of this article.
Table of contents:
- Configuring Apple TV network settings
- Downloading the Lightspeed ODS app
- Setting up an ODS account profile
- Linking the Apple TV and account profile
Configuring Apple TV network settings
Configure the network settings for the Apple TV you plan to use with the Lightspeed ODS by setting a fixed IP address that will enable it to communicate with POS devices connected to the same local network.
Note: Before continuing, ensure the Apple TV is connected physically with an Ethernet cable or wirelessly via Wi-Fi to the same local network used by POS devices in the restaurant. For help setting up a new Apple TV, see Apple support.
- Open the Settings app on the Apple TV.
- Select Network.
- Make note of the Wi-FI MAC Address or Ethernet Address listed under Status. This will be used later in step 10.
- Under Connection, select Wi-Fi or Ethernet depending on the network connection type.
- If connected via Wi-Fi, click the name of the network. If connected by an Ethernet cable, skip this step.
- Select Configure IP.
- Click Manual.
- Make note of the IP address listed for the Apple TV, then click Done.
This IP address will be used later in the setup process to link the Apple TV to an account profile. The account profile will control which orders appear on the ODS.
- Click Done on each of the next three screens to accept the default subnet mask, router IP address, and DNS address.
- From a computer, access your router's admin page and create a DHCP reservation using the Apple TV's MAC or Ethernet address (step 3) and its IP address (step 8). For help doing so, see the router's manual or support page.
Note: Completing this step will prevent the Apple TV's IP address from being assigned to a different device if the Apple TV disconnects from the network. If this happens, the Apple TV will be unable to reconnect to the network.
- Continue ODS setup by following the steps in Downloading the Lightspeed ODS app.
Downloading the Lightspeed ODS app
The Lightspeed ODS app runs on the Apple TV and displays orders as employees process them on POS devices. After configuring the Apple TV's network settings, download Lightspeed ODS to install it on the Apple TV.
- Open the App Store app on the Apple TV.
- Select the magnifying glass icon, and search for Lightspeed.
- Click the Lightspeed ODS app.
- Click Get to download the Lightspeed ODS app.
- Click Get again to verify.
- If necessary, follow the prompts to confirm the download using another Apple device or by entering the password for the Apple ID used on the Apple TV.
- Continue ODS setup by following the steps in Setting up an ODS account profile.
Setting up an ODS account profile
Orders will only appear on the Order Display Screen when a specific type of account profile is applied to those orders in the Lightspeed Restaurant app. In the Back Office, create a new account profile or modify an existing one to use with the ODS.
- Log in to the Back Office with your Lightspeed Restaurant account credentials.
- From the navigation menu, go to Configuration > Settings > Account profiles.
- Select Add an account profile to create a new account profile, or click Edit next to an existing profile to modify it.
- Select Pick up from the Takeaway mode drop-down menu.
- Select Complete when delivered or Complete manually in POS from the Order completion drop-down menu.
- Complete when delivered: Orders using this account profile will automatically complete after changing their status to Picked up in the Restaurant POS app or after removing the ticket from a Lightspeed Kitchen Display System (receipt mode only).
- Complete manually in POS: After updating an order's status to Picked up or removing it from a Lightspeed Kitchen Display System (receipt mode only), a POS user must tap Close order to manually complete the order.
- Configure the other profile settings as desired. For help doing so, see Adding account profiles.
- Click Save to save changes.
- Continue ODS setup by following the steps in Linking the Apple TV and account profile.
Linking the Apple TV and account profile
Link the Apple TV to the account profile created during ODS setup so that orders will appear in the Lightspeed ODS app when the account profile is applied. Contact our Support team to activate the ODS feature for your account and link the Apple TV to the profile.
Important: The Lightspeed Order Display Screen is available as a paid add-on to your existing Lightspeed Restaurant subscription.
- Contact our Support team.
- Ask for the Lightspeed ODS feature to be enabled for your account. In the request, provide the IP address of the Apple TV (step 8 in Configuring Apple TV network settings) and the name of the ODS account profile you want the Apple TV linked to (see Setting up an ODS account profile).
- Wait for confirmation that Support has linked the Apple TV IP address to the ODS account profile. Afterward, you can begin using the Order Display Screen.
With setup complete, learn how to use the Lightspeed Order Display Screen to display orders and how to customize its settings.