Turn time, or table turnover, is the time it takes a server to open and close a check. Calculated from the moment the server sends the ticket to the kitchen to the moment they take payment for the bill, turn time gives you insight into how quickly guests are moving in and out of your restaurant. The faster a server’s turn time, the more guests your restaurant can accommodate and serve, and the higher your revenue and tips.
Table of contents
- Accessing the Turn time report
- Understanding the Turn time bar graph
- Understanding the Turn time table
Accessing the Turn time report
Advanced Insights organizes your cover data in a bar graph and table. To get started, choose your location and time frame.
- Sign in to your Advanced Insights dashboard.
- At the top of the navigation menu, click the Locations drop-down and select a location. This report can only be viewed for a single location at a time.
- In the main navigation menu, click Servers. On the Servers page, select the Turn time tab.
- By default, the report displays the data for the last 28 days. To choose a different time frame, use the Calendar drop-down in the upper right corner.
- (Optional) Filter the report by Shifts such as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Note: You cannot select a custom time period for this report.
Understanding the Turn time bar graph
The Turn time bar graph is a visual representation of your turn time data over the specified period of time. After you filter your report, the bar graph displays green bars to represent a server’s total turn time in hours and minutes. In the upper left corner, the graph shows the overall turn time average which you can compare to the turn time for each of your servers.
Understanding the Turn time table
The Turn time table displays the Checks, Covers, Covers per check, Turn time, and Sales for each server over the course of the specified period of time. You can also click on a server’s name to view their server scorecard.
After you select the date range for the report and filter your results, click the Export button to download the table as a CSV. The CSV does not include the server scorecard.
For a description of each column, view the table below.
Turn time metrics
|Server||The name of the server. You can also click on the server’s name to view their server scorecard.|
|Checks||The number of checks closed.|
|Covers||The total number of customers on a ticket (or check). For example, a table of five customers counts as five covers.|
|Covers per check||The total number of covers per check rounded up or down to the nearest integer.|
|Turn time||The time it takes a server to process an order, calculated from the moment the server sends the ticket to the kitchen to the moment they take payment for the bill.|
|Sales||A server’s total sales in dollars. Does not include discounts.|