User group settings define the actions that a specific group of employees can perform in the Lightspeed Restaurant app. By defining the settings within a user group, all users assigned to the group will automatically receive the permissions you select.
- From the navigation menu, select Configuration > Users > POS user groups.
- Select the arrow next to Edit members for a user group you want to modify.
- Select Configure to edit the user group's settings.
- Enable the desired settings for the selected user group. To learn about each setting, see the User group settings table.
- Select Save.
User group settings
||Users in this group are not allowed to login:
Defines if users in this group are allowed to log in to the POS (checkbox unselected) or if users are only allowed to track their shift hours with the POS (checkbox selected).
|POS user permissions
- User is a POS manager: The user automatically has all listed user permissions.
- User can print duplicates of a customer receipt: In the POS a customer receipt can be printed as a copy.
- User is in training, transactions aren’t committed: The user can log in to the POS, but cannot make any bookings or payments that would affect day-to-day operations.
- User can send a receipt by email:
The user can send a receipt on the POS to a required email address.
- User can cancel receipts on the POS:
A receipt already created in the POS can be canceled. For example, customers have decided to stay and have a drink after all.
- User can create an invoice from a customer receipt:
The user changes a receipt to an invoice on the POS. The receipt is then not paid immediately but at a later date.
- User can change the payment method of a customer receipt:
The customer decides at short notice to pay by card, for example, because he does not have enough cash on him. The user can then change this on the POS.
- User can use the time clock to track worked hours:
The user can clock in and out on the POS. See clocking in and out for further information.
- User can apply an account profile:
The user can add categories. See Adding account profile for further information.
- User can transfer items from one account to another:
Items can be added to another order.
- User can return items:
Items that have already been sold can be returned on the POS.
- User can open the cash drawer using the open drawer button:
The cash drawer can be opened at any time without a transaction.
- User can recall a previously closed order:
The user can change a closed order to an open order.
- User can disable printing manually:
The user can decide for each transaction whether a receipt should be printed on the POS.
- User can cancel items that have been sent:
After the items have already been sent to, for example the kitchen or bar the user can cancel them.
- User can bypass table protection:
The user can manage orders created by other employees, even when the Users are not allowed to access open accounts created by other users setting is enabled for a POS configuration.
- User has manager rights for table transfers:
The user has all the rights for table transactions, such as moving booked items to another table or canceling a table.
- User can change the default configuration:
On the POS it is possible to define which POS profile is used by default when logging in. The user can change this configuration. See About device configurations for further information.
- User can modify sales restrictions:
The user can add, modify, or disable item quantity restrictions by long-pressing an item on the POS and selecting Sales restriction. Sales restrictions are only available for items with the Enable a counter on this item to restrict the available quantity setting enabled.
- User can split accounts:
Multiple customers at a table want to pay separately. The user can divide the order into different receipts.
- User can force a tip on an account:
The user can add a tip manually to the receipt.
- User can open and close shifts:
The user can open and close a sales period on the POS. See opening or closing a sales period for further information.
- User can reload the POS configuration:
Configurations are POS profiles that are associated with a specific menu and settings. When changes are made on the Back Office, the user can reload the configuration on the POS to see these changes. See About device configurations for further information.
- User can view and manage customers:
These are customer accounts. See About Customers for further information.
- User can capture and close payment batches:
The user can use the Settle batch option on the Settings menu to manually close a batch of credit card transactions for a fee. Settle batch is only available to employees with this permission when a payment method using the Cayan (Swiper or Keyed Entry) type is present in the Back Office.
- User can reprint production dockets:
The user can reprint an order ticket for individual items or courses previously sent to the kitchen or prep station. Visit our Adding orders in Table Service mode article to learn how to reprint at the POS.
- Report access:
Defines the visibility of reports for POS users.
- This group defines the discounts available to its members:
Discounts reduce the price of an entire order on the POS. The members of this group are allowed to give a discount on orders on the POS. All discounts created from the Back Office on the discounts page are available. See About discounts for further information.
User float settings
Defines tip and cash flow.
For a detailed description, see About cash drawers and user wallets.
- Users take their tip in cash at the end of the shift:
Users will receive their tips in cash regardless of the original payment method used to leave each tip. The total cash tip amount due to the user is reported on their User report at the POS and on the Staff report in the Back Office.
- Allow users to declare tips when clocking out: When clocking out, users will be prompted to self-report, or declare, the amount of tips they leave with at the end of their user shift. To learn how this feature works, see Declaring tips.
- User tip subtraction percentage:
Percentage automatically deducted from users’ received tips. The deduction amount is reported as "tip discount" on each employee’s User report at the POS.
- Float counting mode:
Controls the behavior around counting cash floats at the POS:
- Float counting is disabled - The float cannot be counted at the POS and will always be opened with the default amount entered in The float amount when opening the user’s bank field.
- Float counting is allowed - Users can count and enter the actual float amount or they can accept the default float amount without counting.
- Float counting is mandatory - Users must count and enter the actual float amount.
- The float amount when opening the user’s bank:
The default amount that a user’s float will be opened for at the POS unless they count and enter the actual float amount.
- Enable float management:
Select the cash float or user wallet that will be used for users’ transactions.
Once you’ve defined user groups and their settings, assign users to a user group to apply those settings to groups of employees.
If you would like to define further POS user groups, see Creating user groups.