Getting started guide
In this article, learn how to download the Lightspeed app on an iPad or iOS device, configure its settings, and connect it to your account to activate a POS device for taking orders. Navigate to other articles in the guide using the carousel below.
If you’re setting up your iPad for the first time, begin by following the steps in Apple’s setup guide.
With Lightspeed Restaurant, your iPad or other iOS device will become one of your most used business tools. Before you begin taking orders and making sales, you’ll need to prepare your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch by configuring the settings, installing the Lightspeed Restaurant app, and connecting your Lightspeed account.
What you’ll need
- A supported iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch running compatible operating system and browser versions
- Access to a secure internet connection optimized for Lightspeed Restaurant
- An Apple ID for downloading the Lightspeed Restaurant app
- Login credentials for the Back Office
Configuring Wi-Fi and network settings
Connecting to a Wi-Fi network
On your iPad or other iOS device, connect to a secure Wi-Fi network by navigating to Settings > Wi-Fi, and selecting the dedicated Wi-Fi network for your business. Enter the password, and confirm by clicking Join.
Configuring network settings
On your iPad or other iOS device, configure network settings by navigating to Settings > Wi-Fi, and tapping the icon next to your connected network.
|Setting name||Recommended option|
|Low Data Mode||Disabled|
|Private Wi-Fi Address||Disabled|
|Limit IP Tracking||Disabled|
Manually set up your DNS settings by clicking Configure DNS, and selecting Manual. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed already, remove them from this window. Click + (plus sign) to add the following Google IPv4 addresses:
Then, navigate back to Settings > Wi-Fi to save your changes.
Configuring time and notification settings
Adjusting your timezone
On your iPad or other iOS device, set up the correct timezone for your location by navigating to Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically.
Adjusting automatic updates and messaging settings
Avoid updates downloading during working hours and interrupting service by navigating to Settings > App Store > Automatic downloads, and toggling off App updates.
For security, update your operating system and browser to the latest versions when available.
Prevent FaceTime and iMessage notifications from interrupting your sales flow by navigating to Settings > FaceTime, and toggling off FaceTime. Navigate to Settings > Messages, and toggle off iMessage.
Enabling Guided Access
Guided Access limits your device to a single app and lets you control which features are available during a Guided Access session. This can keep the Lightspeed Restaurant app open during working hours and avoid accidental exiting of the Lightspeed Restaurant app, which disconnects all passive devices connected to the active device.
On your iPad or other iOS device, enable Guided Access by navigating to Settings > Accessibility. Under General, click Guided Access. Follow the prompts to customize.
Installing the Lightspeed Restaurant POS (K) app
Your employees will be using the Lightspeed Restaurant POS (K) app to process sales. Using Lightspeed for your business begins with installing the app on your iPad or other iOS device.
- Make sure your device is connected to your secure Wi-Fi network and a power source.
- Open the App Store and search for Lightspeed Restaurant POS (K) app.
- Submit your Apple credentials to authorize the app download.
Once you’ve finished installing the app, you’re ready to connect it to your Lightspeed account.
Connecting the Restaurant POS app
To connect the Restaurant POS app to your Lightspeed account, you'll begin by generating a connection code and then using it to log in to the app as you prepare your iOS device for business.
Generating an app connection code
A connection code is a secure credential used for logging in to Lightspeed Restaurant app on a new device for the first time. Depending on your POS configuration settings, you may need to repeat this process and generate multiple connection codes for each of your devices.
- Log in to the Back Office with your Lightspeed credentials.
- From the navigation menu, select Configuration > Devices > Connection codes.
- Select Click here to create a new connection code.
- Fill in the appropriate details to create and customize the connection code.
Once created, you’ll be able to view your connection code as either a numerical or QR code, which you’ll use to connect your iOS device to your account using the Restaurant POS app.
Logging in to the Restaurant POS app
Using the connection code generated previously, log in to the Restaurant POS app to connect it with your account and prepare it for business.
- Verify that your iOS device is connected to your dedicated Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Restaurant POS (K) app on your device.
- From the Restaurant POS login screen, manually enter or use your device's camera to scan the QR connection code.
- Tap OK or Allow on each prompt to enable permissions for local network, location, and Bluetooth access.
These permissions must be enabled for certain features to work properly. Without them, printers, payment terminals, and other POS devices cannot communicate with the POS.