By default, when entering the Order screen you will be in Direct Sale mode. This means you can add order items and then send them to a prep station and apply payment at the same time. If you wish to apply seating, coursing or simply keep the order open after sending the order items, enter Table Service mode. In this order setting, you can send order items, exit the order and settle payment at a later time.
Logging on to the Order screen
Once a sales period is opened, the Home screen is where users can clock in (to start a user shift) and log in to the ordering screens.
To clock in, a user taps the Clock in/out button at the bottom of the screen. If a user is already clocked in to their shift, they will see their name on the Home screen. Only clocked-in users who are designated to process transactions will view their names from the Home screen.
To access the ordering screens, a user simply taps their name from the Home screen.
For more information on the layout and components of the Order screen, see Understanding the Order screen.
Entering Table Service mode
Once logged in to the Order screen, you can enter Table Service mode in two ways: by naming the order or assigning it to a table.
To give the order a specific name, tap Tab name and then enter a custom name in the pop-up window. This will rename the order to the custom one you apply (such as "Morning Coffee group," or "Birthday party"). After specifying the order name, you'll return to the Order screen. Note that if you navigate away from this order, you can find and open it again by searching for it on the Orders list. Note that this custom name also displays on receipts and order tickets.
To specify a table number from the floor plan, tap the Tables button beside the keypad. This will open a pop-up window displaying an overview of available and open tables. You can specify how you want the tables to display by tapping one of the icons on the upper right corner: the first icon leading to a grid view of all open orders, the second your floor plan, and third a list view of open orders. Navigate to your view preference and select the desired table. Tap to open the order. Note that it's also possible to access the floor plan by selecting the Tables tab on the navigation bar.
You can also quickly add a table to an order if you already know the table number. If you know the table number to assign, simply input that number in the keypad and then tap Tables. This will automatically connect the entered number with the corresponding table and assign this table to the order.
Once the order is given a custom name or assigned to a table, the name or table number will display on the top left of your order screen.
Note that it's not possible to return to Direct Sale mode once in Table Service mode - you'll have to close or exit the order to return to Direct Sale.
Adding orders by course or seat
Once in Table Service mode, specify how you're adding items to the order. Choose to keep the entire order shared (grouped together), add order items according to seat number, or add order items by course. You can also add order items by seat and course number (for instance, if you have a group who are paying separately and all enjoying different courses).
Adding order items by course
A multi-course order represents any time there is more than one item ordered consumed at different times. For instance, in your restaurant you may consider drinks, starters and mains to be a first, second and third course meal. Order items can also have predefined courses set from the Back Office, so when they are selected they're automatically added to the right course (eg. Starters to 1st Course, Mains to 2nd Course, etc).
- When entering Table Service mode, you're automatically in Coursing mode and adding order items to Course 1.
- To add items to another course, select Add a course from the Order view and then add the order items to the selected course. Note that you can navigate between courses by tapping the desired course name and adding items to the selected course.
- To change the course of multiple order items, select Edit order, highlight the order items and then Assign to. A pop-up window will appear asking you to specify which course you want the selected order items to be moved to. To change the course for an individual order item, tap the order line to open individual item actions. From the window, select the course for where you are moving the order item.
- Once you have added all of your order items, tap the Send button on the right-hand side of the screen. Please note that it's not possible to change the course for order items after they've been sent to your prep station.
While ordering by course, by default the entire order is grouped together, or Shared. This means that the order items are only specified by their course. If you wish to also add order items by seat, you can select the + icon beside Select a seat and then add order items for the selected seat. This is useful if the order is for a large group and your order tickets need to specify the course and seat number for the items.
Note that while ordering by course, the keypad is still visible and available for use.
Adding orders by seat
If you are processing orders for a group with individual order items, you may want to process orders by seat. Ordering by seat will also collapse the keyboard on the Order screen giving you a more visibility on the entire order.
- To add order items by seat, tap the selector at the top of the Order view which says By course. A drop-down menu will appear. Tap By seat to change the order setting accordingly.
- By default, order items will be Shared until you specify a seat for them. To specify a seat, tap Add a seat on the Order view and then select the order items for the selected seat.
- To change the seat of multiple order items, select Edit order, highlight the order items and then Assign to. A pop-up window will appear asking you to specify which seat you want the selected order items to be moved to. To change the seat for an individual order item, tap the order line to open individual item actions. From the window, select the seat to which you would like to move the order item.
- Once you have added all of your order items, tap the Send button on the right-hand side of the screen. Please note that it's not possible to change the seat for order items after they've been sent to your prep station.
If you wish to also add order items by course, you can select the + icon beside Select a course and then add order items for the selected course. This is useful if the order is for a large group and your order tickets need to specify the course and seat number for the items.
When in Table Service mode, we can notify your prep stations of incoming orders by sending the order items. Sending an order means to push the order items to your prep station, either as a printed ticket or displayed on a Kitchen Display System. Once the order is sent, it is not possible to edit the course or seat.
- To send order items for preparation, tap the Send - x items button on the Order screen.
- If your order contains just one course, the order will be prepared all at once.
- If your order contains multiple courses, the prep station will view the entire order divided by course.
- You can notify the kitchen for when the next course is ready to be prepared by selecting Fire course.
- To add additional items to the order, simply open the order, add the additional items, and then press the Send - x items button once again. This will print only the latest orders and corresponding table number or tab name.
Firing a course
If your order contains multiple courses, you can use the Fire course button to notify your prep station for when the next course should be prepared. For instance, use this button if the customers are almost done consuming the current course. Selecting Fire course sends an order ticket to the kitchen indicating the table is ready for the next course items. After firing a course, the status on the Tables screen will also automatically update to display that the customers are waiting for their next course.
Processing a payment
When your guests are ready for payment, you can select the Print bill button (below the order view) to print a draft receipt for the order. This is a common workflow for Table Service environments where guests wish to view their bill before paying or leaving a tip.
To process the payment, select the Pay button on the right-hand side of the screen to enter the Payments screen. If you're ordering by course, you can select the quick pay button Cash to automatically settle the transaction as a cash payment.
For more information on processing payments (such as splitting a bill or voiding a payment) see About payments.
Learn more about pay-at-order workflows. See Adding orders in Direct Sale mode.
Learn more about the various ways a user can edit an order. See Editing and reviewing orders.
Learn more about interacting with a floor plan and tables. See Understanding the Tables screen.
Learn more about searching for orders on the POS. See Understanding the Orders list.